Monday, January 9, 2012

Fiance's Blanket Work in Progress

Look at all these gorgeous colors! For Christmas from my mom, I received these beautiful balls of yarn, which my fiance promptly laid claim. He requested a blanket, so that is where it is headed. The yarn is Red Heart Boutique Treasure in the Mosaic color and is a 70% acrylic to 30% wool blend. The blue is Sensations Lustrous Lamb in Royal and is an 80% acrylic to 20% wool blend. Both yarns are just soooo snuggly soft. :)

I absolutely love the wool blend! I am so used to the 100% acrylic yarns that the wool is a nice change and feels so great and snuggly to work with.

I let him pick out the block he wanted and after alot of adjusting of the original pattern came up with this fun block. I figure I'm wanting a nice big blanket to snuggle under so roughly 6.5ft square should be good. One Mosaic color ball (which is smaller than the blue) gives me about 6-8.5"squares with a little left over.

The pattern is really interesting. I haven't done a spiral before and was a little apprehensive when he picked out the block he liked. However, the block is quite easy to work up and only takes about 45min to complete one block. Don't know how quick that is for others, but for me that is pretty fast. Keeping the two colors connected at all times was different and took some getting used to.

Blocking in the first group.

All sewed together and looking pretty. I sewed them together by holding the blocks together and sewing under both v's using a whip stitch. it makes a really nice seam that isn't visible at all. I used the blue yarn to sew them together since there is plenty more of that left over. I'm looking forward to finishing this blanket. It is super soft and really enjoyable to work on.